Thursday, November 19, 2009

A legitimate business?

Hi all. One thing I've been coming up against since I began considering starting a "network marketing" business is the question ... is this REALLY a legitimate business? Just to be clear, this question came from within me too. I still sometimes struggle with my own negative perception of it. Part of the problem is that I've known a number people who have started network marketing businesses with great enthusiasm, only to fizzle out within a couple of months. I'm sure there are quite a few loving, well-intentioned people out there who think that will happen with me. It's okay, I still love you if you're one of them. ;)
Here's what I've gathered as I've learned more about the business, both from my research and from actually doing it. This is not for everyone. And even if it is for you, it may not be for you right now. If this opportunity had come along for me at a different point in my life, I may not have done it, and I probably wouldn't be as successful as I'm going to be if I did.

The thing that intrigues and puzzles me the most is that in some ways, network marketing (with a solid company of course - this is important) is kind of a "Well, duh, why wouldn't you want to do it?" business. At least for me and for those who are willing to think outside the box, take risks, and who value flexibility of finances and time more than their comfort zone, it is. The start up costs are affordable even for someone with practically no budget. You earn and reinvest in your business as you go. Someone else takes care of many of the technicalities and legalities of running a small business for you. The training is free and phenomenal (again, with a good company). And, if you're willing to simply duplicate what others have done and constantly work on improving yourself, the earning potential is practically unlimited.

So, why doesn't everyone do this? Why are people so suspicious? It may be that the business just doesn't suit their personality. Maybe it's because they value stability and the idea of a traditional profession more than flexibility and financial freedom (which involve risk to acquire). And then there are the widespread misconceptions about the potential for success in network marketing or direct sales. Because many are attracted to the promise of easy money, and, last time I checked, the concept of "easy" doesn't involve hard work, they fail. And those who know there is no such thing as "easy money" shy away from the business because they think that is what proponents of network marketing are offering.
Here's the thing. This business is not easy. So if you're looking for easy money, you should look elsewhere. But if you're looking to work hard, help others and make a lot of money fairly quickly as a result, this may be the only vehicle left to do this in our current market (unless you have a million dollars to invest, that is).
So enough from me. I'd like to conclude with a couple of insights from those whose opinions on business practices we Americans tend to respect, that is, those who have made a lot of money. Since I don't fall into this category (yet), I'll stop talking now. ;)

Bob Proctor, author of You Were Born Rich:

"The beautiful thing about network marketing is that it is the most moral form of compensation there is. And it follows the very best income-earning strategy: you're leveraging yourself and you're providing great service. You're waking people up. You're showing people how to spend their days doing what they love to do, while at the same time earning an excellent income. Properly executed, network marketing gives people time and money freedom. It gives them liberty, which is their birthright."

Robert Kiyosaki, author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Rich Dad, Poor Dad

"I am often asked if network marketing is a pyramid scheme. My reply is that corporations are really pyramid schemes. A corporation has only one person at the top, generally the CEO, and everyone else below. A true network marketing business is the exact opposite of a traditional business model. The network marketing business is designed to bring you to the top not keep you at the bottom. A true network marketing business does not succeed unless it brings people to the top." (This is from an excerpt of a book he wrote with Donald Trump called We Want You to Be Rich).

T. Hary Eker, author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Secrets of the Millionaire Mind
"The unusual and wonderful thing about network marketing is that everyone around you is working to help you grow, instead of trying to keep you down! In what other business do you have people making $50,000 and more a month - and they're willing to tell you exactly how they did it?

And finally, drum roll please, my personal favorite:

Frank Macguire, former senior executive for FedEx, KFC, ABC, and American Airlines

"I believe America's economic future, the health of its commerce and service, is rooted in effective network marketing. People are sick and tired of the deprivation of human dignity they experience at the hands of so many of today's corporations, which in the past ten years have scooped up all the quid for the guys on top, leaving behind some very talented people without a future. Network marketing is turning off the spotlight on working for a corporation, and turning on the floodlight of the greatness that we all have within us. I love what you're doing in network marketing, because you're creating an opportunity to affect the self-esteem of many, many people. You're giving people hope and providing a launching pad for them to discover their own greatness. I think network marketing is potentially the greatest economic opportunity that has ever existed."

No comments:

Post a Comment